Quantcast
Dry brushing painting for portraits , A painting video tutorial

Dry brushing painting for portraits : A painting video tutorial

by Sandrine Pelissier on August 7, 2012

in Dry brushing, New work, Painting technique, Step by step demonstrations

dry brushing painting

Dry brush portrait with black colored pencil and watercolor crayon

Click on image to purchase print

Click on image to purchase print

Dry brushing painting supplies

For this portrait I did use the dry brush painting technique and a bit of black colored crayon for adding a few lines and corrections.

brush painting techniques

brushes

dry brush supplies

materials

bristol paper fro dry brush technique

I did use bristol paper

oil painting video

I used water-soluble oil paint because brushes are easier to wash but it is working very well with regular oil paint.

dry  brush painting technique

Before painting I am scrubbing my brush on the oil paint, then I dry it on paper towel

Here is the time lapse video of the making for this portrait

Dry brush technique for portraits, video tutorial

You might also like

Dry brush portrait with black colored crayon

Dry brush portrait with black colored crayon

Dry brush painting

Dry brush painting

Beginnings, matted art print

Srep by step painting and drawing tutorial

drawing hands

drawing hands

Get better at drawing

Get better at drawing

Watercolor portrait painting tutorial with splashing technique : Drawing on my notebook works better with my lucky hat on

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Maec January 6, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Iv tried to dry brush using oil paints but i can rub anything out so i was wondering what im doing wrong?

Thanks, marc

Sandrine Pelissier January 7, 2013 at 7:56 am

Hello Maec,
Taking off paint with an eraser will work only on the very light areas. If there is too much paint, you can’t make any correction, I use the eraser mainly to introduce highlights in light areas. I recommend working slowly from light to dark as you can easily add more paint but can’t really take much off.

Michelle July 16, 2013 at 6:00 am

Thanks for the video! I can’t paint very black (Asian hair) with dry brush painting, without looking very ugly. Was wondering if i can add pencil to dry brush painting. So I can! It will stay?

Sandrine Pelissier July 16, 2013 at 7:06 am

Thanks Michelle :)
I think the trick for the very dark areas not to look messy is to paint them not in one go but in many layers.
You could try adding pencil but the pencil will look more shiny than the paint especially with black paint. This can also add an interesting mixed-media effect.
You can also try black coloured pencil, I used it on some of the dry brush paintings.

Michelle July 16, 2013 at 5:57 pm

thanks Sandrine! appreciate ur reply :D will surelytry the coloured pencil~

tareq October 20, 2013 at 12:31 am

hello … for more than one week i tried dry brush many times but, i need more details about how to add pain and scrub it correctly , the pain look dry in the photo but for me still wet and when i start painting there is some lines especially with large brush , so could you help me for that ?

Sandrine Pelissier October 20, 2013 at 8:21 am

Hello Tareq, from what you are describing, it seems that you have still too much paint on your brush, it has to be really dry. You can try taking off some of the paint from your brush by rubbing it on a paper towel.

tareq October 22, 2013 at 10:27 pm

thanks sandrine , its gonna been work yesterday, but still need more and more practice, but my problem when i want to use the big round brush , its still produce lines even after good rubbing but the other small brush work well .

tareq October 27, 2013 at 1:28 am

could you tell what the best brushes for dry brush painting ?

Sandrine Pelissier October 27, 2013 at 7:28 am

Hi Tareq, for the big round soft brush, I recommend a watercolor wash brush, and for the small brushes I used for details, I recommend oil brushes in smaller sizes.

tareq March 26, 2014 at 10:03 pm

thanks sandrine its now start to work much better than before, i think i need more practice

Sandrine Pelissier March 31, 2014 at 8:46 am

Excellent, thanks Tareq :)