This year for Culture Days Sophie Babeanu and I did have a fun activity where participants were drawing a selfie, the old fashion way 🙂 That is without a cell phone.
Culture Days is a weekend of free activities that are happening all over Canada, this year it was on October 1st and 2nd.
Using a mirror and washable felts, you can draw directly on the mirror and transfer that drawing to a damp paper.
You might also like: Participate in the Big Picture Art Project with an easy monoprint technique
Here are the steps to make a No Phone Selfie felt tip monoprint:
- Draw the outlines of your face and your features directly on the mirror with washable felts
- You might need to close one eye , then the other to see better what you are drawing on the mirror.
- Spray a paper that is the size of your mirror (printer paper will work) with water. You can experiment with different degrees of dampness for various effects. I find it works best when you spray the paper and remove excess water with a tissue paper.
- Apply your paper on the mirror and press with your hand being careful not to break the mirror
- Let your portrait dry, you can add more details and colors once it is dry.
And here is a video made by the North Vancouver Recreation & Culture, where you can see glimpses of our activity in the studio.