≡ Menu

Painting tutorial, watercolor landscape on yupo paper : Wheat Fields

wheat fields
Painting tutorial, watercolor landscape on yupo paper

Wheat Fields : Watercolor on Yupo paper
Click on image to purchase print

My latest watercolor on yupo paper, I used watercolors and watercolor crayons. Here are some pictures retracing the steps I took.

Painting tutorial, watercolor landscape on yupo paper : Wheat Fields

drawing on yupo paper with pencil

I did a drawing with pencil on the yupo paper, I then washed it with water and soap to remove traces my finger left

watercolor paint mixed with granulation medium

I start with the sky, mixing the paint with granulation medium.

landscape painting tutorial on yupo paper

Then I work on the distant hills with a mix of purple and green.

removing paint with tissue paper on yupo

For some parts, I apply very thick paint and then I remove some with a tissue paper.

trees painting on yupo paper

I continue to paint the hills and the tree.

painting house on yupo paper

I paint some windows on the house, I am going to modify those later because I don’t like them so much.

step by step watercolor  landscape painting

I start applying a mix of paint for the field.

texture on yupo paper

I add texture in the field by scrapping some of the paint off with a spatula, I also use a yellow watercolor pencil to draw some wheat.

glazing watercolor on yupo paper

Here I am applying a light purple glaze on the sky.

watercolor sky on yupo paper

I let the paint on the sky go down the paper, so it doesn’t dry in puddles

Painting tutorial, watercolor landscape on yupo paper

Wheat Fields : Watercolor on Yupo paper

You might also like :

You might also like:

{ 13 comments… add one }

• padmaja December 12, 2010, 11:24 pm

Amazing process and a fabulous result as always Sandrine.. enjoyed it very much

• Holly Herick Design December 12, 2010, 1:03 pm

I was able to paint on top of the non workable fixative, but it changes the smooth property of the paper.

• lesliepaints December 10, 2010, 5:56 pm

This is lovely, Sandrine, and thank-you again for posting your process with Yupo as I am just learning what I want to do with mine. The ones I have done, I fix with Krylon matte fixative and have no problem. Beautiful golden landscape!

• Sandrine Pelissier December 11, 2010, 11:43 pm

Thanks !, I will try the Krylon fixative for watercolors on yupo. I know some watercolor societies won’t accept any varnished watercolors, I wonder if fixative might be an issue…

• lesliepaints December 12, 2010, 9:18 am

I don’tknow the answer to that about fixative and shows. In the multi-media shows, here, it is not a problem. I have viewed several tutorial videos by artists that work on Yupo. One does not fix the work and the other does. I have not tested if the fixative really works by adding water to mine after….too afraid to.

• Holly Herick December 8, 2010, 2:45 pm

What fixatif do you like to use with yupo? The uv matte on I tried dulled my painting quite a bit, wondering if you have any favorites.

• Sandrine Pelissier December 8, 2010, 5:17 pm

I am not using fixative when painting with just watercolors because they will be framed under glass anyway. I am using fixative when I add dry pastels with other media on yupo paper, in that case I use krylon workable fixative, it darkens a bit the pastels but I didn’t notice an effect on the watercolors.
      Hope this helps.
      I found a threat on wet canvas where artist CH Clements says she is using krylon clear varnish on her watercolors on yupo :

• lindahalcombfineart December 7, 2010, 4:59 pm

Thank you for showing your process. When you say you glazed the sky, did the new paint remove the old paint? I find that when I try to glaze on Yupo I am never successful.

• Sandrine Pelissier December 7, 2010, 5:23 pm

Thanks Lindahal !
      I also found glazing tricky on yupo paper, you need a very soft brush and the most important thing is never to let the brush go two times on the same spot, because once it’s wet the paint will lift very easily. If you manage to pass only one time on any area it should work.

• Holly Herick December 7, 2010, 10:38 am

Keep the posts coming, they encourage me to paint. I love the challenges of Yupo and work work is lovely. I particularly enjoy the way you show your process.